Igor Levit, piano
Igor Levit joins a number of young soloists who are taking the piano world by storm. He won Gramophone’s 2016 Recording of the Year award – a much sought-after honor – for an unusual album that brought together a set of variations by Frederic Rzewski with more famous ones by Bach and Beethoven.
Click here to review the complete concert program.
“…one of the most probing, intelligent and accomplished artists of the new generation.” – The New York Times
Mr. Levit will conduct a master class on Tuesday, January 9, 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. in Hamilton Hall. The class is free and open to the public.
Igor Levit Receives Gilmore Artist Award
On Wednesday, January 3, Igor Levit's potent mixture of powerful art and political candor was given a major boost: the $300,000 Gilmore Artist Award, one of the most prestigious, and unusual, prizes in classical music. Click here to read "The Pianist of the Resistance Captures a Surprise Award" written by Michael Cooper for The New York Times.
- J.S. Bach: Chaconne in D minor, from Partita No. 2., BWV 1004
- Dmitri Shostakovich: Preludes and Fugues, Op. 87 (selections)
- Robert Schumann: Geistervariationen (Ghost Variations) in E-flat major for piano
- Richard Wagner: Parsifal: Solemn March to the Holy Grail
- Franz Liszt: Fantasy and Fugue on the chorale "Ad nos, ad salutarem undam," S.259