American String Quartet
Opening our 2017-18 season, the ever-adventurous American String Quartet joins National Book Award-winning author and U.S. Marine, Phil Klay, and poet and war journalist, Tom Sleigh, in “Lyric in the Time of War.” Combining readings with relevant works by Bach and other composers, this timely program examines the effects of war on the heart, mind and body.
“Luxurious, beautifully sculptured performances”
— The New York Times
Click here for complete concert program.
- J.S. Bach: Prelude No. 12 in F minor, BWV 857, from the Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1
- Dmitri Shostakovich: Quartet No. 8 in C minor, Op. 110
- Belá Bartók: "Marcia" from String Quartet No. 6
- Samuel Barber: Quartet in B minor, Op. 11, second movement 'Adagio for Strings'
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Quartet No. 11 in F minor, Op. 95, Quartetto Serioso